Tuesday, July 13, 2010

PANIC

I suffer with panic attacks from time to time and have often wondered how to conquer them. Some have been so terrible that I almost pass out. How terrifying that simple anxiety, fear, or worry could create such an sense of dread and uncontrollable emotions. Bringing up these attacks to my Psychologist wasn't hard but what I heard was. Because to me Panic was something I couldn't control and have always thought well I must be crazy or need medication for them. Here it is the simple but yet hard truth.... "You can stop a panic attack from happening, all you have to do is stop being anxious about the situation." Are you kidding.... I actually said that to her.... That is not as easy as it sounds.

So I decided to look up Panic Attack when I got home

pan·ic (pnk)

n.
1. A sudden, overpowering terror.
2. A sudden widespread alarm.
adj.
1. Of, relating to, or resulting from sudden, overwhelming terror.
tr. & intr.v. pan·icked, pan·ick·ing, pan·ics
To affect or be affected with panic. See Synonyms at frighten.

Hmmm, I thought how funny that the definition of panic in the dictionary didn't really define what it is I was suffering from. I didn't seem to have a sudden terror like situation happen to really cause me to panic, it was merely a thought or worry of a "possible" outcome of a situation. So I talked to my Psychologist again, I asked her how to stop having Panic Attacks. Her response was so simple but yet so affective I smile just thinking about it. Because just today I just about had a Panic Attack and with her method reversed it before it even got to the point of no return, so to speak.  Her answer?..... Simply this to stop thinking, take a deep breath, and begin saying why am I worried, what is the best thing that could happen from this situation, what is the worst thing that could happen, and then say OK I can deal with that no need to panic or fret about it. Sounds so simple, yet alot of times we don't stop ourselves and focus. But with people with Panic attacks we go full throttle no stopping to think or contemplate that were being unrealistic or hard on ourselves, we just panic, that is the first thing that comes to our minds. So yes it is a chore to actually think before we act but it will save ourselves in the long run.

I also asked my Psychologist why the first thing that comes to my mind is fear and anxiety instead of what I call normal people do. She said this and this is another epiphany.... Because I have had so much fear, panic, and anxiety in my life the fear portion of my brain is active all the time. So in a normal brain, when something slightly threatening comes your way, usually you stop access the situation and deal with it. Fear is used in terrifying life threatening situations. Well in a person with fear and anxiety, the brain thinks it is in constant danger so that part is not turned off, so when something slightly unsettling happens, our brains determine it to be life threatening enough to cause a state of worry or fear. So we kinda have to retrain our brains to turn off that  part during normal situations. I hope that made sense, she used a much better example.

Anyhow, so the point of this topic? When you have a panic attack coming use these steps...
1- Stop
2- Take deep breath
3- Take the time to analyze why you are worrying
4- Realize you can handle any situation
5- Focus on the positives
It takes time to practice this, I used it today and it worked well. Just putting a label on what your panicking about really helps you see that you have nothing to panic about, just take things one step at a time, slow down, and realize your potential to succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment